Here’s a list of the hand foot combinations you could work through:
- RFRF (single stroke roll, RH lead)
- FRFR (single stroke roll, foot lead)
- RRFF (double stroke roll, RH lead)
- RFFR (inverted double stroke roll, RH lead)
- FFRR (double stroke roll, foot lead)
- FRRF (inverted double stroke roll, foot lead)
- RFRRFRFF (paradiddle)
- RFFRFRRF (paradiddle inversion 1)
- RRFRFFRF (paradiddle inversion 2)
- RFRFFRFR (paradiddle inversion 3)
Then you can try some 6 note rudiments…
Try different inversions of a paradiddle-diddle: RFRRFF
and a double paradiddle :RFRFRRFRFRFF
You can play these as triplets so they fit into a regular 4/4 groove, or (like in the video) you could play them as 1/16th notes so they go over the bar line. It’s quite a mental workout to keep track of where you are in regular 4 bar groups as the 6 note patterns will resolve after 3 bars.
Here’s the stick control book – something every drummer should own!